Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Wilde Woman

"The only thing that sustains one through life is the consciousness of the immense inferiority of everybody else, and this is a feeling that I have always cultivated." ~Oscar Wilde

I am a huge Oscar Wilde fan. I have yet to read a quote by him that I didn't find resounding deep in the depths of my...well, if not soul, definitely ego. Usually funny bone too. Consider some of my favorites.

"All women become like their mothers. That is their tragedy. No man does. That's his." Yes, well. My daughters should be so lucky. Be quiet, DD.

"Always forgive your enemies - nothing annoys them so much." Now, isn't this just a killer reason to do the Christian thing?

"Do you really think it is weakness that yields to temptation? I tell you that there are terrible temptations which it requires strength, strength and courage to yield to." The man obviously knew about chocolate.

"Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months." This is why your Goddess is currently in jeans, turtleneck and flannel shirt. I should probably also mention the long johns...but I won't.

"I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best." Hence the designation of Yarn Hussy. And my marriage. (That should get me a great Valentine's gift.)

"I think that God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability. " But notice he doesn't mention the great job He did on women, am I right, ladies?

"I can resist everything except temptation." AND we're back to chocolate. Wonder if Oscar and Mae West were related?

I'm devastated by humor, cherish wit and adore cattiness. Darling Oscar's got it all goin' on!

No comments: