Wednesday, January 9, 2008

I wanna SEE!

Alright, so this gripes me no end. I knit. I buy patterns that intrigue me, challenge me, or are really pretty, but mindless and good for car knitting. Note that for me to know that any of the above are true, I must be able to see the stitch pattern within the garment or whatever. Gee, what a concept.

Now, if you followed the link above - and if you didn't, get off my blog right now, you obviously haven't the proper respect for my opinions - you'll see what Ellen at EarthFaire (a favorite site of mine) says is a very pretty pattern. Oh, really? How do da dog know? Perhaps she's seen it in person; I like her, I 'll give her the bennie. This once. But I note four pictures, and even blown up, you cannot properly see the pattern in any of them.

Oh, they're nice pictures all right. Very artsy fartsy. And since I do this stuff for a living, I know artsy fartsy. Great for a magazine layout. Even pretty on the webpage. But if I can't see that lace pattern, Picasso, I don't want to buy. Okay, okay, I know the darned thing is free, but the principle is there. Do try to work with me. It's not that hard.

Same thing with Victorian Lace Today. Mind you, I love that book. I lived in England for six years, and when I cracked the book open and the first thing I saw was one of my favorite towns, Lavenham (remember the poem "There was a crooked man?), I got misty. Same for shots of Cambridge; I lived near there and even attended a banquet there once. So I looked at the photography and was grudgingly forced to admit there was some seriously nice work there. But for the most part, I feel I cannot see the lace patterns in the items well. I haven't knit a thing out of it yet because of that, although I have a preciousssssss ball of qiviut that's earmarked for one of the scarves. I think.

For those of you with short attention spans, I'm saying, "SHOW ME THE PATTERN!"

6 comments:

Abigale said...

I know exactly what you mean! I hate not being able to actually *see* what's going on with a pattern - so many times - and you're right about the Victorian Lace - beautifully photographed big rooms full of very posh English decor - with nary a knitted piece to be seen - that just p!ssed me off! The thing that just amazes me is that you don't see *more* people kvetching about that particular issue!

I also lived in the UK for about 6 years, in Oxford where they don't like us yanks very much... Been home for 6 years - always nice to see another yank who knows what it is to beat ones head up against the British Reserve... ;)

MMario said...

yes ma'am. point noted. note taken. yes'm.

Diana said...

MMario, it's so nice to see you showing the proper deference. For a change.

And Abigale, I was lucky to not run into too much anti-Yank sentiment. In fact, I did some work with a semi-pro acting troupe over there that was some of the most fun I've ever had. OTHO, you can keep the pitch black at 3:30 in the afternoon in the dead of winter. Talk about SAD!

Witt said...

Hey missy! Fun reading! I was glad to see on your profile that you're a reader. I bet I'm not the only one that would be interested in quickie reviews on what you're reading. It's my favorite way to learn about books to read or to avoid -- hearing about it from a friend.

Hi to Tony!

xxoo,
Witt (and Gary)

Karen said...

Love the title of your blog. Agree wholeheartedly with Rant #1. Can't wait to hear more!

Rosemarie Buchanan said...

Oh Diana, I am SOOOOO with you on that. I don't wanna see speckled rock walls and dappled shadows anywhere NEAR a piece of lace knitting. I don't need flowers or leaves or dogs or kids .... I NEED to see the damned lace!!

I think I'm going to enjoy reading your blog. And, I think mine is much too tame.

I love George Carlin, and I'm going to have to investigate the other dude you mentioned. May I please, PLEASE say the seven words a person should never say??

(I'll say 'em on my own blog... well, maybe not ;-)

Rosemarie