Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Sometime It Pays To Ask

As those of you paying attention - which should naturally be all of you - this Sunday is the first annual Rustic Tarts and Old Farts Hoot 'n Holler. Okay, the Hoot 'n Holler part is new to you, I hear you say, and you're correct. Being in WV, it just had to be done.


I had, ever since the event was named, wanted to have a graphic to suit the name. I had a great vision, but my talents, myriad as they are, do not lie in cartooning, sketching, painting or even drawing a believable stick figure. Such is life; I'm satisfied with my gifts, and I do not repine. Much. So I needed an artist.


My first thought was to turn to a former employee (also possibly a distant relative, but her branch of the family were a bunch of Johnny Rebs who split off and altered the spelling of their last name....we don't talk about it. Please. No, really. It's just too painful. *choked sob*), but I couldn't reach her. The only email I had for her was at her college, and the wench had the nerve to go and graduate. How rude when I might need her one day! I chat with her sometimes on AIM, but not recently, so she was out.


Next, a friend offered to speak to one of her clients. I should probably mention that said friend works in the social services field, and said client IS a client because she's not fully functional in some manner. I don't want to know. Anyway, she was thrilled to be asked, yada yada, and I waited. In vain. Apparently she flaked out and oh how shocked was I.


Not so much.


So, during a staff meeting last Friday where we had a cake for the DH with 50 on it in spite of the fact that he'll be 49 this Friday, and how COULD that have happened? - I came to a realization. One of our employees, who originally asked to be a fly on the wall to learn more, actually teaches photography at a local high school. This I knew. What I did not know is that she also teaches art. Knowing me as you do, Beloved Reader, you know I approached this with all the grace and finesse of a frog in a mud puddle. I jumped on her. Figuratively, for those of you with that kind of mind....I see you, MMario. Et tu, Rosemarie?


Since her plans for Monday, with students done school but teachers reporting, was to create fish with paper clips for noses (fish have noses?), toss them out a window, and with a friend, fish for them with magnets...well, she thought drawing my idea might be more fun. Imagine.


And fun she had. She sent me her design this morning, and it definitely exceeded my vision! She apologized for not having had time to finish the coloring, but I can manage that, and the lettering I asked her to save space for at the top. Let me know what you think...we'll have this available on tees, totes and more for participants, and those who'd like it just for the great drawing of a Scottie pup. :-)


Ask, and ye shall receive...sometimes more than you hope for, and often with a generous heart. Unless you ask ME.

No comments: